The Pharmacy Department is a fully integrated and trusted team, working closely with colleagues of multiple disciplines to provide the best possible care for our patients.
Within the hospital, the Pharmacy Department is involved in: The Medication Management and Use Group; The Oncology Group; The Haematology Group; The Antibiotic Stewardship Group; The Infection Control Group; The Health and Safety Committee; The Hazardous Materials Committee; The Risk Grading Group; The Pharmacy Finance Group; The Falls Committee.
St Vincent's Private Hospital Pharmacy has also worked with: The Hospital Pharmacists Association of Ireland; The Irish Medication Safety Network; The Joint Commission International Special Interest Group; The Aseptic Compounding Special Interest Group; The Strategy for Antimicrobial Resistance in Ireland; and The National Cancer Control Programme, and The Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland.
The Pharmacy Department is staffed by Pharmacists and Pharmaceutical Technicians. Staff are encouraged to participate in continuous education through internal and external education programmes in order to ensure that patients will benefit from current best practice.
There are three teams within the department:
The Dispensary team
- Co-ordinates the selection and procurement of medications.
- Co-ordinates the storage of medications throughout the hospital.
- Dispenses medications for medication stock and in-patients.
- Provides a Retail Pharmacy Service for Private Prescriptions and “Over-The Counter” Medications.
- (General Medical (GMS), Drugs Payment (DPS) and High-Tech Prescription Schemes not available).
The Clinical Pharmacy team
- Conduct appropriateness reviews for medication orders.
- Provide education for patients on their medications.
- Provide medical information support for staff.
The Aseptic Compounding Unit team
- Conduct appropriateness reviews for anticancer medication orders.
- Compound anticancer medications in individual patient doses in specialist clean room facilities.
- Maintain the Aseptic Compounding Unit facilities according to national and international best manufacturing guidelines.
Appointment and Referral information
For all queries, please contact our Dispensary team on (01) 2638049.