St. Vincent’s Private Hospital is the only private hospital in Ireland offering advanced endoscopic management of biliary disease (bile duct stones, cholangitis, pancreatic and bile duct cancers) through a procedure called ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography).
In conjunction with our colleagues in colorectal surgery, hepatobilary surgery, radiology, pathology, oncology and dietetics, our consultant gastroenterologists provide a comprehensive service for the management of gastrointestinal disease.
We provide a range of endoscopy services including;
- Gastroscopy /OGD
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS)
- Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS)
- PEG insertion
- Bowel Screen Programme (national colonoscopy screening programme)
Our consultant gastroenterologists diagnose and treat a wide variety of gastrointestinal illnesses including the following:
- Acid-related disease:gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD), Barrett’s oesophagus, gastritis, gastric and duodenal ulcers.
- Diseases affecting absorption from the gastrointestinal tract (GIT) including coeliac disease.
- Inflammatory diseases of the GIT including inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis).
- Conditions that affect the function and motility of the GIT such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Diseases of the liver and biliary system (hepatitis, haemochromatosis, gall-bladder disease).
- Diseases of the pancreas (acute and chronic pancreatitis, malabsorption, pancreatic cysts and cancers).
- Diseases of the colon and rectum (polyps, cancers, diverticulae).
A number of the gastroenterologists in St. Vincent’s Private Hospital have sub-specialty expertise in specific aspects of gastrointestinal disease including:
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Advanced interventional endoscopy, including polypectomy, stricture dilatation
- Endoscopic stenting of benign and malignant strictures of the intestines and biliary system.
Appointment and Referral information
Endoscopic procedures such as gastroscopy and colonoscopy can be requested through a specific consultant, or via direct access here.
Our consultant clinics accept consultant and GP referrals directly. Outpatient appointments are only granted on receipt of a referral letter.
Diagnosis and Management of Hepatobiliary DiseaseIn conjunction with our colleagues in hepatobiliary surgery and radiology, we diagnose and treat benign and malignant disease of the... read more
Diagnosis and Treatment of Inflammatory Bowel DiseaseSt. Vincent's Private Hospital offer a full range of endoscopic services including chromoendoscopy, for colorectal cancer surveillance, and balloon dilatation,... read more
Endoscopy UnitThe unit is staffed by nurse managers who, along with the nursing staff on the day care ward, coordinate procedures... read more
Gastroenterology: Day-Care TreatmentsSt. Vincent's Private Hospital offers the following Day-Care Treatments in Gastroenterology. Phlebotomy for haemochromatosis Intravenous iron therapy for iron deficiency... read more
Therapeutic Lower GI EndoscopySt. Vincent's Private Hospital offers the following Therapeutic Lower GI Endoscopy services. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) Diagnosis of biliary and... read more
Therapeutic Upper GI EndoscopySt. Vincent's Private Hospital offers the following Therapeutic Upper GI Endoscopy services. Endoscopic treatment of peptic ulcer disease (injection, endoscopic... read more
Associate Professor Ross MacNicholas
Fax: (01) 263 8129