The Medical Social Work Department recognises that illness and admission to hospital may have an emotional and social impact on an individual and their families. The main role of a Medical Social Worker is to provide support with psychological, emotional, social or practical difficulties a patient or their family member may experience during their hospital stay.
- Counselling and emotional support to patients and their families and carers
- Patient and family education regarding coping with illness and talking to children
- Support with care planning and applications to external services and Nursing home support scheme.
- Providing information and education regarding HSE and private support services available to patients and their families
- Patient safety– promote the safety and protection of any patient identified by the hospital staff to be at risk of physical, sexual, emotional or financial abuse or neglect.
The Medical Social Work Department do not deal directly with any Social Welfare claims or enquiries about entitlements. Instead, we advise that you contact your local Social Welfare Office or Citizens Information Centre.
Patients or family members can also contact the Social Work Department directly to make an appointment.
Referrals to the Social Work Department are made by Nursing Staff or Medical Teams.
Tel: (01) 260 9214 or (01) 263 8876 or (01) 263 8929
The Social Work Department is located on the first floor of SVPH between Consultants Suites 11 and 12.
Monday – Friday 08:00 – 16:00
Social Welfare – www.welfare.ie
Citizens Information – www.citizensinformation.ie
Think Ahead: planning for future are needs. www.hospicefoundation.ie/programmes/public-awareness/think-ahead/
Nursing home support scheme: https://www2.hse.ie/services/fair-deal-scheme/about-the-fair-deal-scheme.html
List of HSE health centres: https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/2/healthcentres/
Guidelines for HSE home support service: https://www.hse.ie/eng/home-support-services/
Appointment and Referral information
Our Social Work Department is located on the first floor of St. Vincent’s Private Hospital between Consultants Suites 11 and 12. Our office hours are 08.00 until 17.00.
Medical Social Work Department
St. Vincent’s Private Hospital
For further information, please contact our team on:
(01)-260 9214/ (01)-263 8929/ (01)-263 8876