How to refer patients
The Direct Access Endoscopy Unit at St. Vincent's Private Hosptial is a dedicated consultant led unit that provides timely and direct access to Colonoscopy and Upper GI Endoscopy services to expediate patient care.
These services are provided by a team of consultants with expert knowledge and clinical experience in the fields of gastroenterology and general surgery.
Referrals are triaged by a consultant and suitable patients are booked into the next available slot.
For all other procedures performed in the department, please refer directly to the relevant consultant.
Suitability criteria for access to this service -
- New upper GI symptoms
- Suspected GI bleed (stable)
- Suspected malabsorption syndrome
- Rectal bleeding
- Altered bowel habit
- Weight loss
- Anaemia (iron deficiency)
- Family history/screening
The following are the procedures provided as part of the Direct Access Endoscopy Service -
Direct access referrals are triaged by the endoscopy manager and relevant consultant.
We endeavour to offer appointments to urgent patients (graded by consultant) within 2 weeks and routine appointments within 6 weeks.
You can refer your patients by using one of the following referral channels:
- Healthlink (GP practice management system)
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Each referral to this service must take note of the following –
- Do not refer for OGD for dyspeptic symptoms for patients under the age of 45 until they have had a negative CUBT.
- Include patient anticoagulant status and if patient is diabetic
- Provide patient a prescription for Moviprep for Colonoscopy requests.